Senate Bill 264, “Best Place First” is sponsored by Senator Bob Keenan (R) SD 5 from Bigfork. SB 264 is an industry-led effort to grow Montana’s economy and preserve our state’s historical and cultural heritage.
The “Best Place First” bill would appropriate 60% of annual revenues from the Accommodations Sales & Use Tax and the Rental Vehicle Sales & Use Tax to be shared between tourism promotion and infrastructure investment programs across Montana.
30% of the appropriated funds would be allocated for the preservation, protection, and enhancement of the tourism industry’s partners and their infrastructure.
- State Parks (9.72%)
- Historical Society (7.2%)
- Heritage Commission (3.48%)
- Arts Council (7.08%)
- Heritage/Historic Properties (2.52%)
The other 30% would go to strengthen the marketing efforts of the Office of Tourism, Montana’s six travel regions and 15 visitors bureaus statewide which face a significant increase in competition and marketing costs as the national economy improves.
- Montana Office of Tourism (22.5%)
- Regions and Convention and Visitor Bureaus (7.5%)
The remaining 40% would continue to go directly to the state general fund as it has done since 2003.
With proven returns on investment in state tax revenue of greater than 2-to-1 for every marketing dollar spent, this bill’s distribution formula is designed to be revenue neutral acting like a revolving line of credit.
This bill would make a meaningful annual investment in our state’s cherished places and the Montana brand with long-lasting benefits for Montana’s economy, our visitors’ experience and the quality of life for all Montanans.
Contact your legislator to support this effort to grow Montana’s economy and preserve our state’s historical and cultural heritage
- SB Bill 264 Legislative Information Page (Link to MT Legislative Services Webpage)
- SB 264 Best Place First Whitepaper (PDF)
- SB 264 Best Place First Whitepaper (WORD Document)
- SB 264 Funding Distribution Chart (PDF)
- 2015 Senate Finance Claims Committee (PDF)
SB 264 is formally endorsed by the following tourism partners:
- Big Sky Chamber of Commerce
- Billings Chamber of Commerce
- Bozeman Area Chamber of Commerce/Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Bozeman Tourism Business Improvement District
- Butte Chamber of Commerce/Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Central Montana Tourism
- Destination Missoula
- Glacier Country Tourism
- Helena Chamber of Commerce/Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Kalispell Tourism Business Improvement District
- Miles City Chamber of Commerce/Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Miles City Tourism Business Improvement District
- Missoula Tourism Business Improvement District
- Missouri River Country
- Southwest Montana
- Visit Big Sky
- Visit Billings
- Visit Glendive
- Visit Southeast Montana
- West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce
- Yellowstone Country Montana